Welcome to Children's House
Mission: The Early Childhood Program at Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods in a safe, nurturing, and developmentally appropriate environment to inspire students’ sense of wonder, innate desire to work and learn, and positive engagement with their community.
The Children’s Kiva Montessori School provides a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community and their environment.
Children’s House Program Academic Guiding Principles
The Early Childhood Program at Children’s Kiva mentors, encourages, and guides children to become self-directed, independent, compassionate learners through curriculum and practices that include:
• Authentic Montessori environments: Practical Life, Sensorial, Math, Language and Cultural Studies
• Daily lessons in Graces and Courtesies – developmentally appropriate instruction and modeling of peaceful conflict resolution with self and others
• Respectful, nurturing, and supportive classrooms where independence, self-direction, and concentration are fostered.
• Student-centered approaches to introducing lessons based on student interest and readiness balanced with standards-based goals for academic, social, emotional and physical development.
• Developmentally appropriate academic, social, emotional and physical challenges to cultivate self-esteem, resilience, and whole-child success.
• Curriculum aligned to and monitored by best practices in Early Childhood Development National and State standards
“The Children’s Kiva is a fantastic fit for my family. My daughter loves going to school and comes home with stories to share of things she learned each day, songs to sing, and tales of friendship (and lunch!). I especially value the peacemaking part of the curriculum and the conscientiousness around the power of language in dealing with each other. She is developing positive social skills, becoming empowered, and laying down important pathways for learning through her time at the Children’s Kiva. Keep up the good work!”
“I value Kiva for the teachers and helpers there. They genuinely love the children and have such patience with them in their learning and growth. It is amazing to see the relationships and to know my daughter is in an educational environment that fosters peace and love.”
“ When I drop my daughter off in the morning, I can walk away in total peace and not worry all day because I know she is being well taken care of by like-minded people that are going to instill in her the principle s that matter to me: self-respect, respect for others, personal responsibility, and emotional intelligence. I can say with absolute sincerity that after four years of being a Kiva parent this place has become like a second home and the staff is like family.”
Support Children's House
The Children’s Kiva literally could not do what we do without the generous support of many individuals, corporations and Grant Funding organizations. Funding from grants, as well as corporate and individual donations serve to ensure that The Children’s Kiva is representative of the demographics of our local community, and that our school remains accessible to any child, regardless of their family’s financial circumstances. We are so grateful for your ongoing support of our work with the young children of Montezuma County. If you are interested in becoming a supporter, we would be honored and delighted to tour you around our school, at any time! We are deeply grateful to the following Foundations, Corporations and individuals for their support.
• The Anschutz Family Foundation, Denver, CO
•Buell Foundation, Denver, CO
• Sam S. Bloom Foundation, Littleton, CO
• John G. Duncan Charitable Trust
• Community Foundation of Southwest Colorado, Durango, CO
• Kenneth King Foundation, Denver, CO
• Stonefish Sushi and More, Cortez, CO
• Osprey Packs, Cortez, CO
• Kiwanis Club of Mesa Verde
• Lightfoot/Gould Family
• Blackburn Family
• Bob Fitzgerald
Sign up to our newsletter and stay up to date